Acne Treatments – 3 Proven Ways to Get Rid Of Acne
First things first, there is no real cure for acne. If you don’t treat it, it may last for years; however it will normally go away as you grow older. But by using the following acne treatments, you should be able to keep it under control.
- Benzoyl peroxide, in either gel or lotion form, will help you to kill your skin bacteria, unclog your pores and heal your acne. This is probably the best over-the-counter acne treatment you can buy. You can get it in many different strength levels, anywhere from 2.5 percent up to 10 percent. Be sure to read the directions before you use it.
- If benzoyl peroxide doesn’t work for you, consult your doctor. If your doctor thinks it is necessary, he can give you a prescription for stronger treatments. He will most likely recommend one of three different get rid of acne medications.
- Topical Antibiotic Solutions can be used alongside other acne medications for pustular acne.
- Tretinoin (Retin-A) in either gel or cream form will help to unclog your pores but you must follow the directions exactly. Some people who use this medication can experience increased redness from exposure to the sun or tanning beds.
- Oral Antibiotic pills can be used alongside gels, creams, or lotions if topical treatments alone fail to do the job.
- Isotretinoin (Accutane). This is a very strong chemical which is only used for severe cystic adult acne which has failed to respond to other types of acne treatments. If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant NEVER take Accutane. It is possible for the unborn baby to suffer very severe and even fatal deformities. For the above reasons, don’t have unprotected sex while you are taking Accutane.
If you are having problems with acne, see your doctor. And when you are undergoing treatment, remember these 3 tips:
- Have patience. It usually takes at least three weeks before you will see improvement. You must give the treatment time to work.
- Follow directions. Failing to follow the directions is the most common reason why the acne treatment fails to work.
- Don’t use someone else’s prescription acne medication. This especially goes for Accutane. Using an acne medication prescribed for someone else will do you more harm than good.